Friday, July 9, 2010

What I Do

I picked this up from Geneabloggers. Read here for more information and to see what other Geneabloggers do.

This is a GREAT idea to share what we need to accomplish the research we perform. I have already learned so much from others! I am not listing much on my virus protection, just simply because I don't want it to be TOO easy to be hacked. If you're curious about how to protect your computer, leave me a comment and I'll respond.

* Hardware:
ACER Aspire Laptop
Custom built Tower
2 Dell flatscreen monitors
Netgear Wireless Router

* External storage:
320G external drive (Costco, $99)
Various USB flash drives of different sizes

* Online storage: Picasa photos. No online storage

* Backup: DOS script twice daily backup

* Firewall: not telling :-)

* Virus protection: not telling :-)

* Spyware: Adaware, Spybot

* File cleaner: Various

* Printer: HP Photosmart

* Phone: Samsung (an oldie). I don't need emails and daily feeds to my phone yet. I'm easy enough to find :-)

* Mobile media: iPod Nano

* Music player: WinAmp, iTunes, Windows Media Player, accordingly

* Car audio: Stock

* eBook Reader:None. Me like books with paper and no batteries

* Browser:Mozilla Firefox

* Blog:Blogger

* RSS:None

* FTP:Dreamweaver, CuteFTP, accordingly

* Text editor: NotePad, MS Office, Email

* Graphics: Photoshop, Picasa

* Screen capture: Print Screen + Paste (into Paint)

* Social media: Facebook

* Social bookmarking:None

* Social profile:None

* URL shortener: tinyURL

* Office suite: 2007 Pro (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access). And yes, I use them all. yeesh!

* E-mail: Outlook, Yahoo!, Gmail

* Calendar: Outlook

* Accounting: Excel

* PDF generator: MS Office, Photoshop

* Genealogy database: Personal Ancestry File 5.2.18, Family Tree Maker, various online trees

* Genealogy tools: Maps, Books, Journals, Clerks of Court, various online Genealogical society submissions

* Other tech stuff: That's about all she wrote. I use what I need; haven't found a need for a lot of the high-tech gadgets yet.